The Sheep Parentage test provides a ‘full pedigree’ – that is linking a lamb to its dam and/or sire – along with identifying polled or horned sires or dams in Merinos.
The Sheep Parentage Test is ideal for commercial and stud operations, utilising a ~500 SNP panel to determine the parentage of lambs – that is linking a lamb to its dam and/or sire.
The Sheep Parentage Test takes the guesswork out of identifying which lambs from multi-sire groups belong to specific rams and confirms the parentage of embryo and AI lambs. Accurate assignment of a pedigree actively increases the accuracy of ASBV estimates and with increased accuracy of ASBVs, the rate of genetic gain seen within your flock is also heightened.
The Sheep Parentage Test has been developed by Neogen Australasia to take advantage of recent advances in genotyping technology that will put the Australian sheep industry at the forefront.
The benefits of using Neogen’s advanced genotyping technology can be seen in many ways such as:
- Higher reliability of parent assignment
- Increased accuracy in prediction of horn-poll phenotypes PP, PH or HH
- Decreased turnaround time – the Illumina chip technology used in the Parentage Test provides a more stable analytical system and therefore more consistent turnaround times.
The Sheep Parentage DNA Test is available for the following sheep breeds: Merino, Poll Dorset, White Suffolk, Border Leicester, Composite Maternal, Coopworth, Corriedale, Dorper, White Dorper, Hampshire Down, Southdown, Suffolks and Texels.
This multi-purpose test can also be used to undertake Sheep Poll testing in Merinos.
If you’re looking to get started with DNA testing for your flock, Neogen Australasia is here to help make the process easy and accessible for you. Here’s how to get started:
- Create an account or login to your Neogen SheepDNA account on www.sheepdna.com.au
- Purchase your collection kits here or alternatively TSU’s can be purchased at any Allflex reseller.
- Select the animals you want to test and take DNA samples according to the instructions provided in the test information sheet.
- Complete the sheep submission form with TSU and animal details, including a list of potential sires and dams if parentage is required.
- Email this form to the SheepDNA office, and send your samples to the lab along with a completed and signed sample ID form.
- Once we receive your samples, our Quality Assurance staff will check them before sending you a confirmation email for payment.
- Results will be emailed to you via the nominated email address on the SheepDNA submission form.
- Remember that if you need additional information or assistance, your local Neogen territory manager or our technical experts are always available to help.
At Neogen, we understand that every farm and breeder is unique, and we’re committed to providing personalized support to help you achieve your breeding goals. So don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help at any step of the process.
Allflex Tissue Sampling Units for Livestock DNA collection
One simple step opens a whole world of insightful predictions. The sheep industry is constantly evolving and advancing, that is why Neogen® has worked closely with Allflex to provide you with an advanced, quicker, and cost-effective way to collect DNA samples from your herd. With Allflex TSU’s, your samples are stored safety and securely and allow efficient processing using Neogen’s automated lab equipment. Here’s how to get started:
- Order your Allflex TSU Sampling Kit from Neogen Australasia or contact your local genomics territory manager.
- Once you have received your tag applicator and TSUs, you are ready to take your samples.
- Read the instructions or watch a TSU collection tutorial below.
- Collect your samples, complete your order form and , send in your samples to 14 Hume Drive, Bundamba 4304 QLD, with the completed hard copy of the order form, please ensure a digital copy of your order form is emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once your samples are mailed, estimate 7-10 business days before samples arrive at the lab. The DNA is processed and DNA results are then read by our data service team and reported to you.
- Be sure to allow yourself and our team enough time if you are needing results by a specified date.
Using Allflex TSUs have several benefits including:
- Quick and easy sample collection at any any.
- Receive more data from a single sample, which can be stored for future testing or multiple tests.
- Users must ensure that their RFID equipment is correctly configured for scanning TSU sample codes.
Tips for DNA TSU sampling
- Be sure that if the animal has been freshly tattooed that all ink is avoided in the sample.
- If sampling a newborn lamb, be sure to wipe the ear clean so that no DNA is transferred from the dam.
- Be sure that there is tissue within the TSU before releasing the animal, and that the tissue is submerged in the buffer.
- TSUs can be stored for up to one year at room temperature.
Remember to note which sample belongs to which animal, and check with your breed association for their specific DNA collection process. Contact your Local Neogen Territory Manager or Customer Service for assistance or questions about Allflex TSUs and genomic testing solutions.
The Turnaround Time (TAT) depends on various factors, such as the time it takes for your sample to reach our laboratory in Queensland, sample type(s) whether it is TSU samples or blood samples and whether the test results are reported directly or to your breed society. Please keep in mind that if we need to re-run your sample. We call this a retest. In that case, the TAT will of course be extended.
Frequently Asked Questions – Sheep Parentage Test
What breeds can utilise the Parentage Test?
All sheep breeds can use the Parentage test.
Which animals should I test?
Parentage testing is a popular choice amongst breeders who syndicate mate their animals or would just like sire and/or dam verification. Knowing pedigree allows you to track certain traits of interest.
Do you have a test for black wool in Merino’s?
There is no direct test for black wool in the Merino sheep breed. You can utilise the Parentage test to determine sires that are passing on the black wool genes to their offspring. Parentage Test all sires used on your farm and all lambs with black pigmentation.
Why do I need to provide a potential sire and dam list?
We do not determine pedigree through discovery. The analysis requires to provide all potential options. Best practise is to supply a tight joining list or a list of every animal alive on the property.
How accurate is DNA parentage?
DNA testing is currently the most advanced and accurate technology to determine parentage.
What is included in the Parentage test?
Parent verification and if you are testing Merino’s the test also includes Poll results.